Subscribe To Our NewsLetter
Share This Post:
Mobile biometrics is a groundbreaking technology that leverages a person’s unique biological traits to verify their identity. Face recognition, fingerprint scanning, and voice recognition are some types of biometrics used in mobile apps and other systems today. The need for high security, better user experience, and the ability to access devices quickly, easily, and securely are the prominent factors responsible for making biometrics an integral part of mobile app development services.
From banking and financial services to healthcare to voter registration systems biometric technology is currently being used in all types of mobile apps. If it stirs your curiosity and you aspire to know more about it, this blog is for you. Here, we’ll journey into the intriguing world of biometrics techniques and applications.
5 Ingenious Mobile Biometrics Recognition Techniques
Every individual possesses numerous unique physical traits such as fingerprints, the shape of the iris which is located in the eye, the shape of the ear, voice, and the pattern of the veins in the retina. This has led to the development of multitudinous biometric techniques that every mobile app development company uses today to equip apps with capabilities to identify legit users. Now, it’s time to help you get acquainted with them.
1. Fingerprint recognition: The most popular even today
From Sherlock Holmes (the critically acclaimed fictional detective) to other fictional crime scene investigators and forensic experts, everyone is shown using fingerprints to solve various types of mysteries. The reason why fingerprint detection enjoys a special stature in thriller movies, shows, and comics is that we all possess unique fingerprints.
See the magic of technology, today, we all can use our unique fingerprints to unlock devices, authenticate transactions, and for numerous other purposes.
- How fingerprint recognition works: Our devices carefully read and capture our unique fingerprint patterns to recognize us.
- Why fingerprint recognition is the most popular even today: We have an innate inclination toward comfort and convenience and fingerprint recognition is quick, secure, and convenient to use. Besides, the compact size of fingerprint sensors makes them suitable for integration into most mobile devices.
2. Facial recognition: Your face exhibits unique beauty
There are eight billion people on the planet but no one possesses absolute facial resemblance with you. In fact, a majority of identical twins also exhibit minor facial differences that make it possible for facial recognition technology to identify them. Fascinating, isn’t it?
- How it works: Facial recognition technology employs your device’s camera to analyze your face and record data such as the distance between your eyes, the shape of your cheekbone, and the width of your nose.
When someone tries to unlock the device, it compares the respective data with the one that was stored initially. If it is a perfect match, access is granted, and if not, access is denied.
- Why are people inclined toward facial recognition: With smartphones possessing a front camera, it has become easy to use facial recognition. Moreover, it can be used along with other biometric recognition techniques for multi-layered security.
3. Iris recognition: Your eyes reveal your identity
Iris is the colored ring located around your pupil. Both the irises of your eyes exhibit a complex pattern that is unique to you. Iris recognition devices can see these patterns from a distance and accurately identify you and catch all those in disguise red-handed.
- How it works: Today, smartphones are equipped with specialized cameras that utilize near-IR light to capture IR photographs of your iris. These photographs are then stored and used for future comparison before granting you the required access.
- Why do people adore iris recognition: Iris recognition is experiencing growing popularity as it is one of the most secure biometric authentication methods. The uniqueness and stability of the iris pattern possessed by every individual are the two factors behind the cutting-edge security of this method.
4. Voice recognition: Your words validate your identity:
You may feel as if your voice resembles someone else’s, but if you get to the bottom of it, you’ll realize that your voice is unique. In fact, even twins do not possess the same voice. Intriguing, isn’t it?
- How does it work: Voice recognition devices analyze your voice and store data about your unique voice patterns. This includes your pitch, cadence, tone, accent, and everything else that makes your voice yours. Later on, this data is used for comparison whenever someone tries to unlock your device or protected mobile app.
- What drives the fondness for voice recognition: Voice recognition is a hands-free recognition method. You can use it while driving or in other situations when you cannot operate your device with your hands. Hence, it is gradually growing in popularity and getting specialized attention from those rendering mobile app development services.
5. Gait analysis: You walk in a unique style:
Did you know that your steps tickle the Earth uniquely as you walk around? Yes, that’s true as no one else matches your unique gait.
- How it works: Your mobile phone utilizes devices such as an accelerometer and gyroscope to identify the unique manner in which you walk. The data is captured, stored, and used for comparison whenever you or someone else tries to gain access to your device.
- Why do people adore gait analysis: Gait analysis is also considered one of the most secure biometric authentication techniques. This is because mimicking someone’s way of walking is extremely difficult. As people adore gait analysis, companies providing mobile app development services have started focusing more on it.
After discussing the various mobile biometrics techniques, it’s time for us to explore how the phenomenal technology is revolutionizing various sectors.
The Incredible Applications of Mobile Biometrics in Various Sectors
1. The government sector: Promoting easily accessible and efficient public services
With the advent of top-notch biometric technology, governments have become capable enough to render efficient, secure, and wide-reaching services to their citizens. Even those living in the remotest areas can avail government services in a safe and secure manner.
- E-Governance: Mobile biometrics has made it possible for governments to provide absolutely secure e-services to their citizens irrespective of their location. With biometrics, people can securely verify their identities for various purposes such as digital voting and gaining access to social security services.
- Real-time identity verification at borders: Whether you are crossing a border or an immigration checkpoint, you can leverage the power of mobile biometrics for identity verification. Officers can easily compare your biometrics with those already registered in national or international databases.
2. Baking and financial sector: Making secure transactions possible anytime and anywhere
Biometric authentication has made digital banking and access to the financial sector safe and secure for people worldwide. Today, we can make online transactions, apply for various types of cards, and perform other banking-related tasks through our mobile devices without any worries.
- Mobile banking anywhere and anytime: With mobile biometric techniques such as iris recognition and facial recognition we can make secure financial transactions anytime and from anywhere. Hence, they can safeguard us against data breaches and help us make the most of digital banking.
- eKYC through mobile: Mobile eKYC has also become a breeze with mobile biometrics. The technology aids in conducting a swift verification process while minimizing the risk of identity fraud or any other type of fraud. Banking agents can utilize mobile biometric devices to effortlessly perform eKYC processes when opening a bank account or initiating other processes even in the remotest areas of any country.
3. Device unlock and security: Taking safety and security to a whole new dimension
Currently, we utilize our smartphones for almost everything from making online transactions to storing our documents in mobile apps such as DigiLocker, and Document Holder Digital Locker. Given that, top-notch security of our devices is essential. Biometric authentication has made it possible for us to keep all our sensitive information absolutely safe and secure.
- Unlocking devices: We can prevent unauthorized access to our smartphones through biometric recognition features such as facial recognition, fingerprint recognition, and iris recognition.
- Mobile app security: Today, many mobile applications, especially those dealing with banking and finances render biometrics for authentication. With this, they provide us with an additional layer of cutting-edge security that can keep us safeguarded against cybercrime. All mobile app development service providers know how users install or uninstall an application depending on its security level. Hence, they have started integrating biometric recognition into a majority of mobile apps.
Let’s Wrap Up
Biometric authentication techniques such as facial recognition and fingerprint scanning are revolutionizing the digital world. They have become an integral part of mobile app development services as only secure applications thrive today. With mobile biometrics, you can prevent any unauthorized access to your smartphone or any mobile app that contains sensitive data.
If you are an entrepreneur searching for a reputed mobile app development company that can help you create a mobile app with exceptional biometric recognition, look no further than LN Webworks. We have a dedicated team of mobile app developers with expertise in biometric authentication. So, without any doubts, reach out to us today.
LN WebworksYour Drupal Solution Partner
LN Webworks have championed open-source technologies for nearly a decade, bringing advanced engineering capabilities and agile practices to some of the biggest names across media, entertainment, education, travel, hospitality, telecommunications and other industries.